I shot this while I was in Sharpsburg, Maryland. I was was shooting over an old fieldstone wall while standing in a graveyard. It was super windy but I just liked the color contrast that were going on.
I shot this image intended it to be in HDR but reality is sometimes far apart the vision in your head. The problem here was the wind. Also the camera did some really funky stuff to the sky. I really don’t remember if I used a polarizing filter or not but I should have. So when I opened this up in Lightroom and then Aurora I had some major problems to contend with.
This image is so far from the original image that I produced. First off the amber in the fields is very much HDR. The problem was the rest of the image looked like ass. Even with my “zone editing” process there was no saving the image because of the sky. So I would just use the field. I did that and then took center exposure and edited that as normal. Quick new layer and masked the HDR field into the “normal image. I had a new problem. Due to the wind the trees looked funky with pale spots. So lots of dodging and burning, mostly around the midtones to get those looking normal and then some shadow burning.
I wanted to push the image warmer in the fields so I loaded ColorEfex and pushed that until I had a happy golden glow in the fields. This caused the sky to turn into some weird orange mush. No problem, masked in the fields.
The sky still looked like ass. It was this cyan color bleh with the clouds looking like white lumps. So it was back to ColorEfex and shifted the image cooler. Maked that bit in. Still had some issues around the trees so used the eraser and a lighter opacity to fix that. I still had sky problems as the left and right don’t balance. Loaded up camera raw filter and said enough.
This is one of those images I should have ejected but I liked it so I kept forcing it. Still not 100% happy with it but I got my amber waves damn it!